Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Highly Functioning with Bipolar

{Myth: People with bipolar disorder can’t get better or lead a normal life. Fact: Many people with bipolar disorder have successful careers, happy family lives, and satisfying relationships. Living with bipolar disorder is challenging. But with treatment, healthy coping skills, and a solid support system, you can live fully while managing your symptoms. I found this on the blog Journey2Balance, from NIMH and thought it so aptly described my life, I wanted to post it here as well.}
Fortunately I have all of the components in the above description going for me which is probably why I have lived with this for so many years very few people know that I have it. I have a great support system in my immediate family and my husband and daughter now that she's grown. I have always worked. God blessed me with an have an even-keeled disposition -- being bipolar doesn't mean you're moody. And most importantly my faith in my Heavenly Father helps me maintain an inner balance. I would have to say there is something else mentioned above that I am quite adamant about: managing symptoms: I always take my medications and work closely with my doctor, taking responsibility with him for my care. It's my body and I can sense when it's starting to go out of balance, I immediately call my doctor to discuss possibly tweaking of medications --and I have been at this for 33 years! I had the same doctor for 20 years. He taught me to listen to my body and ask for help immediately without letting mania or depression take their ugly grasp on me before getting help. I have become pretty adept at it. I thank God for it. It's a gift I treasure!





No comments:

Post a Comment